In 2020, a series of weblog posts about computing devices will be written and published. The first in this series, about the end of support for Windows 7, was already published one week ago, on 2020-01-07.
Many people, do not know what types of devices will be advantageous for them to acquire. Even when they know the type of device, they do not understand how to evaluate that category in order to make appropriate purchases. Brand names and price become proxies for device quality. Unfortunately, this can result in inappropriate devices being selected. Not all devices need to be purchased new. Many older, even discarded, devices are often suitable for continued use, but may require the installation of different, more appropriate software.
This series consists of:
- Windows 7 (2020-01-07)
- Computing: The Series (2020-01-14)
- Devices Past (2020-01-21)
- Devices Future (2020-01-28)
- Clouds & Puddles (2020-02-04)
- Universal Serial Bus (2020-02-11)
- Video connectors (2020-02-18)
- Power supply/ charging (2020-02-25)
- Input & Output Peripherals (2020-03-03)
- Computer Access & Assistance (2020-03-10)
- External Drives (2020-03-17)
- Printers (2020-03-24)
Starting 2020-04-01, the focus at Cliff Cottage, will be on outdoor building construction. There will be limited time for blogging, with the exception of a single monthly update. Blogging will resume again 2020-10-06. There are several different categories of computing devices that most people may use/ acquire for work and leisure:
- Handheld devices (2020-10-06)
- Laptop & desktop devices (2020-10-13)
- Media players (2020-10-20)
- A Practical Server (2020-10-27)
- Vehicle devices (2020-11-03)
- Smart home devices (2020-11-10)
- Other embedded systems (2020-11-17)
- Sensory impairment (2020-11-24)
- Dexterity/ Mobility impairment (2020-12-01)
- Telemedicine (2020-12-08)
- Nightscout (2020-12-15)
- Computing: A Summary (2020-12-22)
Many of these will focus on the needs and limitations of older users, and how to mitigate the impact of various impairments.
Each topic, including publication dates, is subject to revision. People who want other topics covered can contact me via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Update: On 2020-02-04 at 13: 40 Two of the topics on this post were changed. 09. Input Devices (2020-03-03) and 10. Output Devices (2020-03-10) were merged into 09. Input & Output Devices (2020-03-03), and a new topic 10. Computer Access & Assistance (2020-03-10) was created. On 2020-02-16 kl. 07:00 Input & Output Devices was changed to Input & Output Peripherals.
Update: On 2020-11-14 at 14:30: Originally, the schedule of weblog posts in this series was: 8. Visual impairment (2020-11-24); 9. Hearing impairment (2020-12-01); 10. Dexterity impairment (2020-12-08); 11. Mobility impairment (2020-12-15), and 12. Computing: A Summary (2020-12-22). This has been changed to the following: 8. Sensory impairing 2020-11-24) – which combines hearing and visual impairment; 9. Dexterity/ Mobility impairment (2020-12-01); 10. Telemedicine (2020-12-08) – which looks at telemedicine generally; 11. Tidepool (2020-12-15) – which examines automated insulin dosing. 12. Computing: A Summary (2020-12-22) remains the same.
Updaate: On 2020-12-13 at 12:30: This has changed the name of topic 11 from Tidepool to Nightscout. The reason for this is to focus more on the work of a social network, than a corporation.